Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Eclectic Electric

I only managed to make it down for the first day, but the Electric Picnic down at Stradbally House, Co. Laois has become my favourite festival.

It wasn't just the great acts like the Flaming Lips or Kraftwerk, nor that my well connected honey managed to score VIP passes; it was just the general groovyness that pervaded the whole affair. An abundance of ancient trees gave the place a natural vibe, and the organisers exploited this with genius, disguising marquee poles with hollow tree-trunks, decorating trees with giant colourful butterflies, and setting up an holistic "body and soul" chillout area in a log-lined hollow (normally used in show-jumping competitions), complete with an alcohol-free "sacred shrine area", parachute-silk hammocks, and even massages - Trey, see if you can get a gig there next year!

Maybe it was because it was held down the country, but there was a calmness about place, people were very friendly, and security was relaxed with none of the near strip-searching that can happen at other gigs. This also meant a fair amount of, er, contraband was wafting around in the air... Potent contraband.

There was variety. An electric music tent, a DJ tent, the mostly rockin' main stage, a cinema tent (also hosting cabaret), a stand-up comedy tent, amusement park rides, market stalls, there really was something for everyone. Even the food and drink was the most varied I've seen at a festival.

Finally, as Wayne from the Flaming Lips said, it's just got the coolest name. Now where's my promotion fee?

6 Comments:

Blogger Trey said...

Dude!! I'm SO there!! Sounds like heaven, minus all the crusaders and martyrs:) I'll start a fund to get there--might you e-mail me links or other info?
p.s.--looks like you are getting comment spammed-- our newest techno-woe. There is a comment verification option you may choose that will curtail the random, irrelevant and sometimes zen koan-like spammies.p.ps. I have my Dalai Lama tickets!!

Wed Sept 07, 08:04:00 a.m. GMT+3  
Blogger Trey said...

ooops! Didn't notice the link at the top of the post.....Look! Over there!! A unicorn!!(scampers away, blushing.....)

Wed Sept 07, 08:06:00 a.m. GMT+3  
Blogger Trey said...

Ok, last one.... I just toured the site--HELL YES!! I have family of friends in Athlone I hope to stay with, and I joined the e-mail list (hope to hear from them for next year)I will so totally see you there in '06!! My next move is to sort out the requirements for practicing massage in Eire-- I'll google it from here, but if you can direct me towards some info, I'd be ever so.

Wed Sept 07, 08:16:00 a.m. GMT+3  
Blogger delta said...

Heh, it did strike me as being right up your street :) I'll check out the requirements for practicing at home, and I guess it's possible you might have to contact the organisers or something.

What a pretty unicorn too, you don't see many blue ones...

Wed Sept 07, 11:59:00 a.m. GMT+3  
Blogger Trey said...

Its because someone blew his horn (groan!!)
I've been searching Irish massage school websites etc--it would appear that 185 contact hours is the minimum requirement to practice on the old sod (who's an old sod?) I will be at 550 hours this November, and hopefull will be nationally certified in January. Think that may be enough? I also have bartending skills, photography skills, nutter wrestling skills--I'm a regular Napoleon Dynamite--gosh!

Sun Sept 11, 04:55:00 a.m. GMT+3  
Blogger delta said...

so you're fully qualified to get people relaxed, then drunk, and then take compromising photos! Marvellous!

It's just struck me that the massage tent may be run by a company, so you might have to contact the organisers about setting up your own little stall.

Sun Sept 11, 03:17:00 p.m. GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home