Monday, March 07, 2005

Finland does Winter awfully well

Good (insert appropriate greeting here),

Well, it was so bright and sunny today that I assumed it was above zero on my ride in. There was a time when -5 equated to "dangerously cold" in my little head (now it equates to (2.23606798 i)^2 - this is what they do to you in JF engineering). The weather is exactly the kind you don't get in Ireland: blue skies, dazzling sunshine, bright white snow everywhere (pleasingly crunchy under wheels), it's quite uplifting. I took the long route to work, just to provide myself with a little more vitamin D, and a couple more kilometres on my speedy aluminium steed. I have to say, if you want to buy a bike in Helsinki, go to Velosport - that last service was worth every cent. It's so gratifying when your mode of transport makes you smile.

Collectively, people started going out on the lakes in large numbers over the weekend - there seems to be some kind of Finnish sixth sense for knowing when it is ok to walk on a frozen lake. The unbroken sub zero temperatures seem to have frozen most water sources sufficiently solid for most icy-lake pursuits, such as skating on prepared tracks track and through ice-sculptures ice (actually, I'm not sure how usual that is), and it's not uncommon to bump into someone coming out of a metro car carrying one of these:
augre My standing-around-in-the-cold experiences leave me in no hurry to grab join them in the sitting-around-in-the-cold-holding-a-pole excitment just yet. Now that I consider it, there's a good chance that that "sixth sense" is in fact an announcement on TV.

I should be regailing you with tales of a seriously good time had at the water-park meets rave event held in Espoo this weekend but, unfortunately, I was feeling quite unwell and didn't go (cursed microscopic bastards, RELEASE THE T-CELLS!), so you'll have to learn Russian and hope that Alex has posted about it instead. This was probably the wisest thing I've done all year, but wisdom does not a fun time make.

On Saturday I did make it out of the appartment briefly, and met Joonas at ESO (a student union building) where he'd overnighted after a party. They take their partying pretty seriously at ESO, as you can see:
Joonas

There I spied a noble conservation park, dedicated to the endangered and ellusive "Champagne Creature"
Creatures
This guy looks happy...
Creatures

In an entirely unrelated note, in Finland the government pays you to study...

4 Comments:

Blogger delta said...

I think we've been mentally abused - I mean, we find that stuff funny. And it takes self restraint not to start analysing every construction crane I see for members in tension and compression...

Anywhoo, Road Trip:
Rubin: This is sort of an unusual question, but do you have any marijuana I might be able to buy from you? Our car exploded last night and I'm practically all out of my own.
Motel Clerk: Am I a drug dealer? No, I am not. Thank you for asking, though.
Rubin: No? OK. That's OK. Thanks.
Motel Clerk: Is there anything else I can help you with? Perhaps you'd like an 11-year old prostitute sent to your room. We can do that. Or maybe we can off someone for you. Hunh? How's that sound? I've got it. Why don't we start small? Would you like a fresh towel? Maybe you could roll that up and smoke it.
Rubin: (mutters, walking away) I'll take it.
Motel Clerk: By the way, Cheech, that credit card you guys gave me last night was maxed out, so don't go spending all your cash on needles and guns just yet.

Also to be found as the intro to a 70 minute Mashup/Remix Mix from Solcofn - the second track "Party Ben - Mass Destruction (George W Mix)" is worth the download time alone...

Jaysus that was nearly a post!

Tue Mar 08, 07:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd taste in music dave, maybe you've been in Finland too long?

Wed Mar 09, 04:27:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger delta said...

Very possibly, but consider it a tiny subset, rather than representative of my musical taste ;)

Wed Mar 09, 06:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Trey said...

Nice photos--here in cowboyland we keep swinging between the upper 70's to the mid 40's--often in the same day! Nice to see snow, but not envying the sub-zero vibe. Blog on, maestro!

Thu Mar 10, 06:15:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home