Thursday, January 19, 2006

Forecast: frigid

Things have escalated a little around here since I mentioned it was cold. Maybe declined is a better word. I've a new "should have worn long-johns" cycling record (more than 5km at minus 22 celcius). The only way to overcome that kind of bone-chilling (my breath fogged my glasses, the fog froze) was with dinner with friends. Luckily that was the destination, and frostbite was warded off with belly laughs and a bowl of vindaloo - huzzah. The record-breaking was almost rounded off with some arm-shattering when I neatly demonstrated, albeit unexpectedly, the proper technique for dismounting a moving bicycle, as practiced by motor-cyclist in an emergency. I really must fit my winter tyres.

On a more serious note, this weather front has been moving east from Siberia and has hit Moscow pretty badly. It's around thirty below there and despite keeping the subways open, homeless people are dying on the streets. No friends. No chilli. Life isn't really fair.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, that sounds cold. Weather here is 7 degrees, party sunny :)

Not a very cheery end to your post though :(

Fri Jan 20, 01:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Trey said...

we're seeing evidence of global waring here in Texas--wish I could send some your way, at least for the homeless--that's so harsh, freezing to death

Fri Jan 20, 06:41:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the winter, on an average, has been warmer in Finland than usual, except for those really cold days. And hey, at least according to this Finnish blog there are positive effects about the weather, namely talking about it.

Fri Jan 27, 03:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home