Monday, January 23, 2006

Spread the good news... er...

I'm pretty avidly pro copyright reform. That is to say, I'm disgusted at the way people, corporations, entities - whatever - claim sole ownership over, and jealously horde, information. It's one of the topics I've been avoiding here, because there's a chance it takes over entirely. I didn't submit you to my strong opinions with regard to the over-zealous MPA threatening people who run websites where guitarist post self-transcribed music for other guitarist for free with jail time. This, however, is so illustrative of the fallacy of "Intellectual Property" (gag) in general, I thought I'd break my rule.

Vatican 'cashes in' by putting price on the Pope's copyright. If you would like to spread the Pope's teachings, you'll have to pay. Every little parish news letter that would like to quote the latest from the guy in the Vatican has to pay a tithe. What's more it retroactively covers all papal pronouncements going back 50 years.

If past experience is anything to go by, I'm getting blank stares, or I've been tuned out completely. Guthenburg would understand.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok now that is just rubbish! How can you spread the good news if you have to pay for it! I wonder does that mean if he says "i have to go wizz!" that i can't say it again with out paying him! :(

Mon Jan 23, 08:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Trey said...

Didn't you hear? The Pope is a "droid built by SONY. Makes sense NOW, eh?

Mon Jan 23, 10:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger delta said...

MY GOD! It all makes sense! That would also make your question irrelevant Seamas. Droids don't pee, they just leak hydraulic fluid occasionally.

Wed Jan 25, 02:09:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger M said...

This could reinvigorate the church, actually. Can't you just see rebel kids gathering around to secretly read and share without authorization quotes from the pope, like in "Dead Poet Society"? Everybody knows Ratzinger is a shrewed man...

Sun Jan 29, 08:44:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger delta said...

I never thought of that, teens saying "you're not the boss of me, man, I can preach if I want to, and you can't stop me!" :)

Sun Jan 29, 02:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home