Thursday, August 12, 2004

Out and about

I've only been at work sporadically today. After under two hours I vamoosed to Toolo on the tram to view an apartment. Hmm, apartment seems to generous a term, considering the entire property to be rented was probably smaller than my hotel room. At EUR550 a month all inclusive it's cheap for Helsinki, and I'm seriously considering it. Any of you planning to come visit would have approved of the sofa-bed (folding thinguma-jig, you know what I mean). Made it back to the office for another quick burst, before pushing off to Chez Dominique...

Chez Dominique is Finland's premier restaurant, having earned itself not one but two Michelin stars. It's superlative fare entitles it to be superlatively expensive, and in the evenings it is. However, for some unknown reason, they've decided to devote lunch times to making themselves fiscally accessible to the likes of me, sort of :) Joonas had been there before, for a product launch or something, and was keen to return, so last week he booked a table for himself, myself and Alex. The original plan was to celebrate my first paycheque, but apparantly next week couldn't come soon enough :) Anyway...

The service was crazy - they spread our napkins, kept our glasses (water for all, we like to really splash out) permantly topped up, and before dessert the waiter produced a special scraper for removing any unwelcome bread-crumbs from the table-cloth! Those pesky bread-crumbs, they spoil a meal so. As for the food: spectacular. To be honest I'm not sure what most of it was, but it was damn tasty, possibly the best food I've ever eaten. Easily the most extravagant.

We made it back to work eventually, where I stayed for a whole hour, before rushing off to view a rediculously expensive apartment in the nice part of town. In this I was completely unsuccessful: I got off the bus at the wrong place, wandered around for a about half an hour, and gave up. Made it back soon enough where I managed to string together a whole hour and a half before rushing off to the island west of where I work to look at a very reasonable spot close to the shore. It's main failing is that it won't be ready for two weeks. If needs be I could find someone willing to donate a floor, but I'd really like to get settled.

Back again, will probably stay for an hour or two to make up for my absences...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home