Thursday, May 05, 2005

30042005(011)


30042005(011)
Originally uploaded by davemurphy.
I meant to do a discovery channel style cultural discursion on Vappu, or Labour Day, May 1st. It's a big event here, and when I say big, I mean Vappu eve is comparable to St Patricks day in Ireland, and like St Patricks day in Ireland, everyone comes to the capitol to get drunk and go crazy (see pic). Ethanol fueled Finns are... I'm tempted to say something dramatic, but they're a lot like loud Irish people.

At 6pm on the eve, the students of Helsinki (and thanks to liberal student funding, there are a lot of students in Helsinki) gather in Esplanadi, wash one of the statues, adorn it with a student cap, and give it a drink, commencing the festivities (and the Summer, depending on who you ask). Things proceed in a simple manner: everyone gets pissed. The following day at 1pm many many people descend on another park in Kaivopuisto, and have a nice picnic; sparkling wine is traditional.

While I can tell you all this, I can't say I saw any of it. This irks me, I normally strive to witness. I missed the Saturday stuff because I was buying booze for a party at my place (it was the day after Alex's birthday, and a couple of days before mine), and the Sunday stuff because I was asleep. Shameful.

5 Comments:

Blogger Trey said...

here in Austin we celebrate Eeyore's birthday (yes, the a.a. milne donkey) each year in pease park. I snapped the grafito pic on my way to the drum circle. Do try and make it to MonkeyFest, due to debut in April of '06.

Thu May 05, 11:41:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dave! Alas this year we won't be buying you a guitar, or a guitar case or even baking you a massive plate-sized cookie (although I am planning on doing some baking - I may eat some to celebrate your birth). Hope the Finns can make up for our absence.

Fri May 06, 03:19:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Blogger Trey said...

Happy Birthday! Warm wishes from the semi-tropical zone!

Fri May 06, 09:09:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Blogger M said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Delta! :)

Sun May 08, 09:39:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Blogger delta said...

thanks all :)

Thu May 12, 07:00:00 p.m. GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home