Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Real Music


05222006026
Originally uploaded by delta_avi_delta.
I try to keep up with the "little" artists I used to follow around Dublin (until the barring orders were enacted - and you thought I came here for work, hah!). Of all the groups, Rodrigo y Gabriela were the most special, the most talented, the least appreciated - so when I noticed they had a new studio album the credit card number leapt from my fingers.

They hate that their music gets mis-labeled "flamenco", so I'll say it sounds "latin", with a strong shot of thrash metal, driven with a rhythm technique that's all their own. Imagine if techno had been invented by banging on acoustic guitars and you're halfway there. Almost all of the album is made with only two nylon-strung guitars, and two pairs of blessed hands.

The music has spontaniety, playfulness, fluency, flow, energy excitement... oh, here - words aren't going to do it justice - wait while I agonise of which track to give you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home