Thursday, September 30, 2004

Tervetuola!

...is what my second hand computer says upon booting, running Windos XP Finnish Edition, as it does.

Yes indeedy, I splashed out again, this time on a second hand 1.4GHz Athlon powered machine, with a 19" flat CRT for €550. Well, it was this or continually lust after my €3,500 dream system until a moment of weakness left me very deep in the proverbial hole. It's a bit of an odd puppy, for example it has slots for seven (*seven*) hard-drives... Anyway, the plan is to replace this rather confusing Finnish OS with the autumnal release of Fedora when available, and run a server. Then who knows, in 6 or 12 months I can partner it with a real fire-breathing beast of a (gaming) machine. This way I don't lose my job before Christmas :)

In other news, I became an official member of the unofficial Helsinki University of Technology Gastronomy and Etiquette Society, participating in their inaugural meeting at Chez Dominique yesterday lunch-time (the chairperson is a certain Joonas Paalasmaa...)

Unlike, say, initiation into many secret societies or US college fraternities, where acceptance is generally a painful affair: the gaining of acceptance being balanced by the loosing of dignity, or sphincter control (temporarily); the rites of this organization required the hopeful petitioner to do nothing more than enjoy cuisine that was terrifying good (and expensive).

That's all for now, get back to whatever it is you should be doing :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home