Sunday, January 02, 2005

In Transit

Hey ho, and a happy new year one and all. I'm in Stockholm Arlanda again, and maybe I was hard on the old place the last time. A seriously turbulent landing tends to paint old scenes in new, shiny colours. Also, I ate on the flight, and the gent I was sitting next too was very nice. He gave me his fun-size toblerone, inadvertently making a friend for life. I wish him good luck on his 500km car journey north.

Christmas was great. Those three words have capacity for expansion not seen since the Big Bang, so I'll limit myself to saying that it was wonderful to see everyone again, and the ease at which we fell into old grooves was comforting. It spawned some "If I were living in Dublin" threads, and it makes the departure gate a bit of a wrenching experience. I miss you all already.

I'm feeling a bit thoughtful, I'm doing my damnedest not to launch into a "2004, De Year Wot Woz" review. I'm refraining from sniping snidely at the people behind me, straddled either side of a Celeron v P4 in Laptops debate (and how the salespeak caterpillar morphs into tech folklore). I'm going to shut up entirely, in fact, and acquire some bottled water.

Er, PS: has anyone read the Lemoney Snicket books? Does the story really just pack up and end like that?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read the first 7-odd Lemony Snicket books. Each one ends kind of abruptly with the kids being taken away by Mr Poe and each one starts with him leaving them to a new relative.

Interestingly the film covered the first three books and used the ending of the first as the ending of the film. It's all a bit weird

-Gordon (slightly ashamed he knows this much)

Mon Jan 03, 04:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger delta said...

Nay, be proud! That certainly explains why the ending is so abrubt, and well, forced. So are they worth a read? I wonder if there are english copies in the library...

Mon Jan 03, 04:31:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home