Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Helsinki: Snowiest Place in Finland

Maybe it was a bit of a blizzard after all: we've more snow than Lapland!

In any case, at the minute Helsinki looks like this
snowy

The snow is about ankle height in most places, but there are piles gathered from clearing the paths scattered around. It seems they locate these with wild and giddy abandon.
bike in snow

Apart from wandering around looking like a child at Christmas time (or a drunk, depending on your views on 22 year olds jumping into snow-drifts, giggling), I spent some time at the weekend making survival purchases. The main weapons in my anti-snow arsenal are now a sturdy (and oh-so-comfortable) pair of Ecco boots
boots
and this ingeniously simple piece of material, that's fast becoming my favourite piece of clothing, I give you: The Polar Buff (seriously)
buff

Beyond conjuring images of suicidally frigid nudity, the buff, which I've ineffectually described over the phone as being "a bit like a giant sock, only... only not, you see?" is a metre-long tube made of two materials, the lighter, polyester like colouredy bit, and the fleecy solid green part. I've had endless fun exploring its possibilities, from the simple "scarf" and "mask" to the more complicated "pirate" and the advanced "beanie hat". It's great fun, but what's more, I can cover my mouth, nose, and ears whilst cycling, and still wear my helmet (and breath, which is important). It's safe to say that if I'm outdoors, I'm in the buff (sorry, sorry...)

Fingers crossed for my beloved bike, who had to overnight in the bikeshop last night. Public transport is just not as fun as sliding around on the snow on two wheels...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home