Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Snowmen Did it

Hello hello.

If I were writing yesterday, I would have regaled you with accounts of the delicate sprinkling of snow here, there and everywhere around Helsinki - for all the world like a dusting of icing sugar. How it brightened the days and nights, and made everything look clean. It is not yesterday, it is the day after, and the streets in general are wet and mushy, splattered with patches that could have been produced by gastroenteritic snowmen (either way). While the slush is much less pretty, and much darker, it normally redeems itself by being damn good fun to cycle on, and so it was today. Unfortunately, somehow, large quantities of mushy snow find their way on to my bag, where they melt, venture south, and make sitting down a damp and clammy experience for hours.

Anyway, none of that matters, because for some reason tomorrow is a national holiday. I'm probably going to work, to make up for one of my days at Christmas, though there are low rumblings of snowboarding...

Completely thrilled by some genuine feedback to a question posed in the last post (thanks Gordon!), I'm going to try again.

If I wanted to play games I would
a) Get an XBox - Halo2 is the r0x0r, principles bend, shame isn't fatal.
b) Get a PS2 - San Andreas? Final Fantasy? Helllooo?
c) Get a GameCube - If Nintendo ever make the GameTurd, I will pre-order
d) Upgrade CPU and possibly the graphics card. Consoles suck.
e) Save. Play with my money until I can affoard my dream system.
e) Sell my computer, buy a Mac, and self-flagellate until the urge dies
f) Sir! Sir! Please sir, there were two e)'s sir!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quoteth Dave: Completely thrilled by some genuine feedback to a question posed in the last post (thanks Gordon!), I'm going to try again.

I'm sorry, was the feedback of /Gordon not genuine enough???

If you really want to play games then a true games pc is the best way to go. Sure the xbox and ps2 kick ass, but they involve lots of extra expenses like tvs, surround sound and projector systems. They also have those pesky joysticks which aren't half as accurate as a mouse. However on the plus side they are great for social gaming, bringing your friends over and annihilating them for instance, whereas the pc just isn't as socially acceptable. Unless you get a laptop and come back to dublin for one of our renowned lans.

A

Wed Jan 05, 04:03:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger delta said...

Hey :) You know, I completely agree with your wise advice on all counts... I think I'm looking for justification to flog my pc after all the work I've put into it... Would it be insane to build a sound-proofed box to keep it in?

Anywhoo, on the /Gordon thing, you'll notice I said "to a question". It's the first time (in my recollection anyway) that I was so bold as to post an explicit question. I'd refrained before, fearing that it would sit on the page unanswered, and make me look like the blogging equivalent of "Billy no mates". It didn't happen that way, I'm happy, or at least I was until you made me feel guilty! Why would you do that!!

Wed Jan 05, 04:42:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm quite torn between (a) and (b) there myself, just for the Final Fantasy x(as opposed to X) series, played 7 and loved it like a....best friend, but Halo and Halo 2 are fun dammit! Maybe its better not to start investing in consoles that have games that have that kind of engrossing storylines (remember 4th year - no? Remember Mudd - yes? See where I'm going here??)
Course you could just check out the timeline of the next BIG console release for the X-Box and save your pennies til then(if its close)....I haven't helped at all have I....being able to have simultaneous and contrary viewpoints on everything is great, but sometimes you just wish that faculty would just..f**k off and die really....

Thu Jan 06, 11:08:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the option for "I'm a dirty hippie living in Africa with less than 3 dirhams to rub together much less enough to pick up a gaming system, TV, and games, even if I COULD find them in this country."

I guess since I've got a ,ac already I could just start self-flagellating until that, and various other urges left unsatisfied by living in a conservative muslim society, go away.

Take it easy mate
-the dirty hippie

Thu Jan 06, 02:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home