Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Technical bitching session (best ignored)

Well, after getting first frustrated by the pointless 1+0 RAID configuration (when there was a second, perfectly good disk left out of the array) and then angry with the state of my OS (I spent five minutes logging on and off in Finnish, and killing random processes to try and stop the freeze that happends after every boot, and get processes running) I turned off the power, opened the case, fiddled with cables, restarted, made a new, useful 2+0 array, and set about installing win2k.

Problem. In my haste I forgot to consider the possibility that win2k doesn't come shipped with RAID support. It doesn't by the way, at least not for my motherboard. Hmm. After some earnest cursing, I rummaged for my Linux boot cd, and got the drivers on to floppy. Excellent! On with installation.

More problems. Basically, I had to reformat both hard-drives. I formatted one as part of the installation. "Setup will continue after reboot" apparantly means "After rebooting, we will be unable to find your hard-drives" to microsoft. I managed to get it fully installed eventually, thinking "Great, now it'll boot!" It wouldn't boot. So I installed win2k on the second harddrive, in case somehow it was booting from it first (at this point it seemed sensible). Same issue. It turns out that for magical reasons beyond my ken, if I leave the installation cd in the drive, it gives me the option to boot off the cd. Upon ignoring this it give me a choice between both my versions of Win2k. If the cd is not present, it finds no bootable drives. This is as irritating as fibreglass underpants.

So now, many, many installations later, and much later, I can't actually see what I'm typing, and I'm going to go to bed and leave this till tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not my fault! My windows installation cd is a good one! Sorry anyway... Getting a computer with raid was maybe not such a good idea?Hehe

Wed Oct 13, 01:41:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy there tiger, hadn't checked this in a while and there was suddenly a whole host of blogs. I like your beaver description :)

Anyway, first off, we're supposed to bring gifts?? How can I compare to all that Aoife and Paul brought before me? And shouldn't you be the one giving us gifts now you've got a full time job? Ah well maybe I'll bring along some sausages from cumbria or something. Just about to alt-tab and book flights. I'll let you know.

PS. good to hear from you again mate.
A

Wed Oct 13, 03:03:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I point out that you're earning more than he is! the Finnish rule is either (1) bring a care package chock-full of goodies (2)go on a Sauna day with Delta + SLR camera, so he can get some more shots for his collection (if you thought snapping you while sleeping was personal wait til you go over...:) ) or (3) go on a date with Delta's vocal and possibly homicidal neighbour (also with Delta and his SLR camera nearby but for slightly different reasons)....:)

Skier

Thu Oct 14, 01:12:00 p.m. GMT+3  
Blogger delta said...

Who told you about my collection!

Actually, I'm about to post an update on The Neighbour. Either I've seen him in the wild, or my block is nuttier than squirrel shit.

Thu Oct 14, 02:08:00 p.m. GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home